With almost two decades experience, I’ve developed exhibitions and interpretation in a range of major museum and heritage sites including the Natural History Museum, the National Maritime Museum, the National Trust and many sites for English Heritage. I’ve also worked in cultural policy development at the National Museum Directors’ Council, funding at the Heritage Lottery Fund and cultural business planning with Barker Langham, most recently managing the development of Museum of London’s Business Plan for their exciting move to West Smithfield Market.
I’ve worked with organisations in the Middle East, Russia, the US and throughout the UK. My skills include writing,editing, planning,research, concept development, briefing and project management.
I have an MA in Museum Studies and a BA in Archaeology, but my subject interests don’t end there. Over the years I’ve immersed myself in a range of fascinating topics as diverse as futurism, mobility, robotics, women’s lib, the British civil war, biodiversity, armouries, sustainability, art, human evolution, desert ecology, mineralogy, place-making in public spaces and film archives. I am yet to come across a theme that can’t be made interesting, inspiring, entertaining, accessible and relevant to a range of audiences.
• Interpretation Planning and Exhibition Curation
• Business and Strategic Planning Support
• Audience Development and Evaluation
• Grant Applications/Fundraising
• Copywriting and Editing
• Interpretation Training
• Content Research
• 2013-Present Director, Claire Henry Consulting Ltd.
Clients include the National Maritime Museum, Natural History Museum (including a period as Interim Temporary Exhibitions Manager), National Trust, Barker Langham (as an Associate Consultant) Cultural Innovations, KCA and Fraser Randall, with projects in the UK, the Middle East, Russia and Bangkok.
• 2012-2013 Curator/Proprietor, Live with Me Ltd.
Live with Me was a pop up shop/gallery I set up on Columbia Road East London. The shop promoted the work of up and coming designer-makers and artists with an ever-changing programme of exhibitions and specially commissioned works.
• 2010-2012 Interpretation Manager, English Heritage
As interpretation and project manager, projects included the development and installation of new immersive exhibitions at Kenwood House, Grime’s Graves archaeological site, Portland Castle and Bolsover Castle and the upkeep and management of interpretation at sites across the East of England.
• 2009-2010 Consultant, Barker Langham
A varied portfolio of projects including lead interpretation on a new desert park and visitor centre in the Middle East, developing strategy for cultural projects and fundraising.
• 2006-2009 Senior Interpretation Developer, Natural History Museum
Projects included lead interpretation project management on the Vault, a permanent gallery for treasures from the mineralogy collection and lead interpretation and project management of a suite of major new permanent exhibitions.
• 2004-2005 Senior Communications Manager, National Museum Directors Conference
Editor of NMDC newsletter. Strategic and administrative support and research investigating measuring the public benefit of museums and heritage.
• 2001-2003 Senior / Grants Assistant, Heritage Lottery Fund
Monitoring and assessment of small grants, and administration and research for the (then) new Major Grants Team.
• 1999 Summer Season Site Supervisor, Sedgeford Historical and Archaeological Research Subject (SHARP)
Analysing reports and developing a Harris Matrix for a long term archaeological research project in Norfolk investigation an Anglo-Saxon burial site.
• 2003 – 2004 MA Museum Studies. University College London. Distinction
• 1999-2001 BA Archaeology and Prehistory. University of Sheffield.